The the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like the perfect word to summarize and characterize both Contemporary Worship and Church Growth [heretofore CW/CG] in light of
- the close Scriptural connection between idolatry and adultery
- the praise worship and outreach that is born of human passion and lust for numbers
- the selling of the Gospel that is CG
- the employment of priestitutes in the holy office of the public ministry
- going to church doesn't save a person -- all you need is Jesus in your heart; as long as you love Jesus; your faith saves you, etc.
- you can worship God wherever and however you want -- all you need is God/Jesus in your heart; as long as you love God/Jesus; as long as you pray to God and praise Him
It is the thinking that fuels the CW of ABLAZE! and the LCMS. And it is that promotion of the Synod that is a contributing and motivating factor for the "firing" (now there's a nice ABLAZE! image for you) of many faithful pastors, not to mention undermining the faith and jeopardizing the souls of of countless "seekers" and baptized children of God.So, while my laughter has turned largely to tears, perhaps you will find some humor and irony in the term Lutheran Whorship, and maybe a way to see the connection between CG/CW, the idolatry of the Old Testament, and the adultery of what Lutheran pastors are ordained to present as Christ's pure and faithful bride.
Oh, that you would bear with me in a little folly-- and indeed you do bear with me. For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:1-2, NKJ